Saturday, March 14, 2009

4-H Wildlife Project Bowl 2009











What a big day. It started very early for us (for a Sat)! Alarms going off before 7am and me hitting snooze a few too many times. I get Andrew up and hop in the shower only to find Andrew back in bed when I get out. Now Jeff wanted to drop off Zach and Michael at G & G Turbes' at 7:30am. Jeff tries to get Andrew up and dressed, hops in the shower, while I get dressed. I find out Andrew can't find his camouflage shirt! Yes the Redwood County teams are all wearing Camo shirts and Bright Orange caps. (Nobody will miss us!) So, I am looking everywhere. In Michael's clothes, Andrew's clothes and even in Zachary's clothes, back to Michael's and to Andrew's. Nothing! I check under beds, in toy bins, up in the attic, (maybe it got sent up with the summer clothes) still nothing. I check Michael's room once more and find his. Luckily Michael is almost as big as Andrew as far as shirts go so this will work. OK, everyone is ready to go but me. Remember I just got dressed and had to look for my 6Th graders shirt! I throw some powder on my face, spritz some hair spray in my wet hair, eye liner, grab a yogurt and out the door we are. Oh, back in the house, I forgot my cell phone! (can't miss that important call even though it will be off during the competition). We race to G & G Turbes', open the doors, let the boys out and leave. Poor Michael is carrying the WII, steps out the van door and BOOM, slips on his butt on the icy cement. At least the WII was OK.... Just kidding! I jump out and console my big guy. He is so cool about it. He just gets up and says, "man it is slippery there!" I'm glad he didn't hurt himself. Back in the car, we didn't even go in and let them know they were there. Race to Redwood Falls. Jeff and I are each coaches of teams and we made it very clear to be there and not be late! Yup! That's us! Late! We did get there by 8:15 so I think we did pretty good for how our morning is starting. We find everyone there, another coach grabbed our packets and we are off to a good start. Now it is waiting for it to start at 9am. Our club took 2 Sr Teams and 3 Jr teams. Lots of kids to corral. We pass out books and study questions, pop is spilled, the usual. The competition is starting. They have orientation so everyone knows what to do and what is expected. We get to listen to the Sr teams pair off between themselves first. This is only the second year of Wildlife so there are not many other counties there. It is double elimination. These kids are learning stuff I learned or should have learned in High School if ever! Biomes, do you know what that is or how many are in MN???? They do! Finally after a long morning and into the afternoon of Knowledge Bowl, we have a winner. The Redwood Raccoon's (Jeff's team) won! Undefeated!!! Andrew was on that team so he is super pumped!! It was cool. The kids were so excited. They had tough competition! They received metals and now qualify for the State Competition in Foley MN on April 18Th. The day before Michaels 1st Communion. UGGGG
We picked up the kids, said Hello, and returned home only to get refreshed quick and go to church so we can sleep in in the morning. When we got home from church, Zach and Michael quickly put on their snow pants and rubber boots to go out and play. Yes have a snowball fight with each other. They play until they are soaken wet. Andrew received uninterrupted time on the WII. No little brothers to bug him!!!
Finally- to bed early!
We are all exhausted! Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment